top of page

Carbonara Wine Pairing: Lambrusco and Gavi

Updated: Dec 8, 2023

Best Carbonara Wine pairings:

- Lambrusco

- Gavi

Why Lambrusco pairs with Carbonara?

Lambrusco's light tannins pair perfectly with the meaty part of the bacon, while high acids and bubbles clean fats from Pecorino and bacon. This makes Labrusco the best wine for Carbonara.

Lambrusco has red foam


Lambrusco is a type of wine that is made from the Lambrusco grape variety and is known for its unique sparkling and fruity characteristics. It is produced primarily in the Emilia Romagna region of Italy, where it has a long and rich history dating back to ancient times. Lambrusco is usually made through the Charmat method, where secondary fermentation takes place in tanks rather than in bottles, resulting in a less complex but still refreshing and flavorful wine.

Lambrusco can have three sweetness levels :

  • Secco (dry)

  • Amabile (demi-sec)

  • Dolce (sweet)


Lambrusco is known for its striking ruby-red color, which is often accompanied by vivid purple hues that add to its visual appeal. The intensity of the purple hue can vary depending on the type of Lambrusco and the winemaking techniques used. Generally, younger Lambrusco wines tend to have a brighter and more vibrant hue, while more mature vintages can have a deeper and richer color.


From the olfactory point of view, Lambrusco is more intense than complex. Nevertheless, various recognitions are possible, from the fragrant vinous to the fruity of raspberry, blackberry and cherry, to the floral of red rose, to various tones of spiciness, black pepper and carnation.

Serving Temperature

Lambrusco is best served chilled between 8 and 10°C (46 and 50°F).


Why Gavi pairs with Carbonara?

Gavi di Gavi, an Italian white wine, pairs well with Carbonara due to its high acidity and mineral character. Its acidity cuts through Carbonara's rich, creamy sauce, while its mineral notes provide a counterbalance to the dish's creaminess. Also, its light-to-medium body and fresh fruit flavors complement Carbonara's savory profile. However, wine pairing is highly personal and the best one is always the one you enjoy most.

Gavi wine label
Gavi wine label


Gavi, or Gavi di Gavi, is a distinctive white wine made from the Cortese grape. It is named after the town of Gavi in the Piedmont region of Italy where it's produced. Gavi is characterized by its bright acidity, crispness, and mineral notes.

Gavi comes in one main style, which is a still dry white wine. It is typically not oaked, which allows its vibrant flavors and acidity to shine.


The color of Gavi is usually straw-yellow, sometimes with light greenish reflections. The wine's color can slightly vary depending on the age and specific winemaking process.


Gavi's flavor profile often includes green apple, lemon, and a touch of almond. These flavors, coupled with its mineral qualities, give the wine a unique character. It is more aromatic than complex, yet it carries a wide range of recognizable notes from fresh fruity to floral.


Temperature Like most white wines, Gavi is best served chilled, typically between 8 and 10°C (46 and 50°F).




It is a typical first course of the Roman tradition prepared with a condiment based on eggs, bacon (best with guanciale) and Pecorino Romano.


is a pork product made from a pig's cheek. The name guanciale comes from the Italian word for cheek, guancia. Guanciale is super fatty and usually cured with salt, sugar, and spices.

Pecorino Romano

is hard-cooked cheese made with whole milk from pasture-grazed sheep and has a particularly salty and slightly piquant flavor. Aged for at least 5 months. Its origins can be traced back to the Roman Empire when cheese processing methods were first described by some of ancient Rome's most important writers on agriculture: Varrone, Columella, Virgilio and Pliny the Elder. In 227 BCE, the production of this renowned cheese spread to the neighboring island of Sardinia, where even today almost 90% of Pecorino Romano is produced, while the remaining 10% comes from Lazio and the Tuscan province of Grosseto.


Getting Carbonara right comes down to the final 30 seconds. Apply too much heat and it'll scramble; too little heat and you'll be left with grainy cheese. To make the sauce smooth and delightful, start by grating the parmesan very fine. This way, it can melt nicely without needing a lot of heat.


1 komentarz

Eli Sy
Eli Sy
14 cze 2023

Great piece! Your detailed approach to pairing wines with Carbonara is commendable. It's fascinating to see how Lambrusco and Gavi, each with their unique characteristics, can complement this classic dish. I loved the little lesson on Carbonara - quite a treat for a food and wine enthusiast like me! Your article truly underscores the art of pairing wine with food, enhancing the dining experience. Thanks!

bottom of page